Wednesday, January 18, 2012

First Ride at the new place

Got to ride Cabot on Monday. He was good considering the conditions. I don't get out to the barn until about 5:30pm and since the arena lights are out, it's a rush to get him worked before dark around 6:15pm. Seeing as he hasn't been ridden in months and it was quite windy, I ran him around the round pen a bit before attempting to get on. He was great in there - shyed away from the scary monsters of tractor and junk in the corner (including a roping dummy), but I think he liked the footing and his movement was much more animated than usual (also could have been due to the unusual feeling of sand hitting his legs). Why does it seem that one side is always deeper than the other in a round pen?

I then took him into the arena which hasn't been dragged recently (something to be said for being the one in charge of that like I was at the old job). I walked him around past all the scary monsters (again more junk piled up) and hopped on. We just walked and tried to achieve focus, which I was sort of successful. Another ride tonight...(yesterday was a tennis day - yay for cross-training).

No comments:

Post a Comment