Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Patience and Persistence

So my patience and persistence have definitely paid off.  Yesterday I took Cabot for a little drive in the trailer.  We went in a big circle about a 20 minute ride.  He hopped on right away, which was a good start and then started to fuss once he figured out he was tied and I was closing the door.  He was mostly quiet for the ride as far as I could tell.  Then the true test was to get him back on once we unloaded back at the barn.  He made a little show of it and refused at first, but once I got his grain he hopped right on.  He got on and off a couple times doing that until I closed him in to eat.  Finally close to done, I opened the door and he hopped off.  I wanted to go back and get his bucket and he actually followed me in again.  I'm so proud of him :-D.  Hopefully we can get to the point where we don't need the grain, but for now, that is SO MUCH improvement.  I did this all by myself too btw.

I spent Monday lunging him in side reins.  I've decided to take a couple of steps back so he gets better with the bit contact and doesn't try to whack me in the head when I ask him to turn.  The lessons seem to be paying off. 

Oh and we bought a dressage saddle.  It's a brown Passier that I got a super amazing deal on and it fits him like a dream.  :) So now we're really going to have to do an 3-phased event...

No comments:

Post a Comment