Monday, April 9, 2012

Bad ponies = sore Ashley

Cabot has hit that stage in his life where he is REALLY ADD.  It is super annoying and he needs to grow out of it already.  The lady that owns the place we went to school XC came into the store and told me it was ok to bring him since his Coggins was only expired by about 2 weeks.  So I figured I better get on him Thursday before that adventure.  I have been warming him up/working him in side reins and he has pretty much figured that out and now doesn't fight the rein contact so much.  He warmed up well so I took him out to to the arena and got on.  Walked around fine, albeit a little lookey at the horse that lives over by the arena.  Did some circles and still listening pretty well.  Cue trot and devil-pony arrives.  Flinging his head everywhere, not listening, pretty much just being a giant ass.  Back to walk - listens well.  Trot - head flinging.  So he got a nice smack in the head.  He didn't like that very much - starting hopping and mini rears.  I almost stayed on (famous last words) but he spun his butt and I came off.  Of course I landed in the strip of arena that hasn't been dragged in forever.  Elbow and hip absorbed most of the impact, with some whip-lash for good measure.  Bruised, but ok.  Devil-pony got put back in the round pen to work his little orange butt off.  I then got on in the round pen and he was awesome.  Listening to the contact and steering like I know he knows how.

Since I wasn't too sore the next day (Friday), I thought it would be a bright idea to take both horses up to school XC and see how they deal with having to be separated after a trailer ride together.  Both got on pretty well (some issues with Storm not thinking she could fit in the rear space), which made me super happy.  Got everything unloaded and tacked up Cabot first.  I figured he would be worse and better to use all my energy on him.  He was HORRENDOUS!  Screaming, throwing a fit, I couldn't even get on because he wouldn't stand still long enough (if anyone has any magic tricks for standing while trying to mount - I am all ears!).  So he got run around on the lunge line.  Then moved to the warm up area on the course and more lunging.  Finally walked out to where everyone else was and was able to get on.  He was slightly better once I mounted but still screaming unless he was actively doing something.  Exhausting!  We schooled mostly just itty bitty questions and the water and called it done with him.  I will have to take him back by himself since I really want to do Beginner Novice with him in June.

Storm was a little better.  Still very lookey and VERY STRONG.  She did ok with her first introduction to jumping.  Hopped over some little logs and x-rails and one little ramp.  I don't know that she will make an awesome eventer and it's becoming quite difficult for me to tolerate riding 2 complete greenies.  She might go back to being a polo pony by the end of the month.

Trainer's hubby was there taking pictures so hopefully we got some good ones and I can make an ad for storm.

Cabot (cell phone pic)

Adorable Zoe-dog in the blue bonnets last weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment