Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I pretty much hate rain now...

Got in 1 good ride on the orange kid last week.  He was ok, mostly paid attention and we did some trot poles which he figured out the second time through.  We have to learn to jump and play in the sandbox if we're going to show in a couple weeks (which might actually be out of the question since we still haven't conquered the trailering issues).  I did park the trailer at the end of his run, but have yet to be successful in getting him in and I'm not sure I want to just leave his grain and let him get in by himself (at least the first time I want to witness).  Anyway...also during last week's ride...he attempted to buck for the first time (yes, my not quite 4 year old Thoroughbred has not bucked at all throughout his "starting under saddle" process).  I found it quite entertaining since I think he was just voicing his displeasure at doing a nice canter transition and shoved his head down and kind of arched his back a little.  This is probably due to the fact that there is not enough daylight (still no lights installed....grrrrrr...) to be able to lunge him before I get on.  So I just hop on and hope for the best.  I'm actually kind of glad I'm getting a little opinion out of him and he's not a total dead-head.

It's actually nice out today - but I have V-day plans with hubby and the in-laws so no riding...Cabot also cut his lip on something in his stall yesterday (it looks like he got punched in the nose)...

Pic from last week -
Handsome man (a little dirty :))

3 comments:

  1. maybe try feeding him in the trailer? you might have already done that so ignore me if you have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan with parking the trailer at the end of his run. But I don't want him to get in there for the first time when I'm not there and I haven't had enough time to wait until he gets his little butt in there by himself. I blocked the trailer and everything, I just want to make sure it's definitely not going to move when he gets in there and freaks him out even more. As soon as he gets in that first time, he will be eating in there everyday until we overcome these issues. It's super frustrating since he seems to be getting worse with every expedition instead of better. :(

      Delete
  2. trailer issues...I've had my share. I have a tried and true method if you want to give it a shot.

    Take two lunge lines and clip them to either side of the trailer (you need helpers). Lay them on the ground straight out. Walk the horse towards the trailer straight,then have the helpers pick up the lunge lines and slowly walk them crossing behind the horse.

    The horse may jump when it is touched so be aware, but you can guide the horse onto the trailer this way. Most horses will realize quickly the best way out is onto the trailer. After a few times of this they generally will walk on with just the lunge lying beside the trailer.

    ReplyDelete