Friday, February 3, 2012

More rain........

I know I really shouldn't complain since Texas is in a state-wide drought and 2011 was the driest year since 1917, but I really am sick of this raining everyday business.  Not having a covered arena is really making my training schedule pretty inconsistent.  And I'm sick of cleaning muddy paws and hooves.

So, I'll take this opportunity for a little background on me...

I grew up in West Central NJ (very far from the Jersey Shore).  I have loved horses since I could remember.  I begged every birthday, Christmas, Easter, Valentine's Day, Presidents Day (you get the picture) for riding lessons and a pony.  That wish finally came true one Christmas when I opened a riding helmet on Christmas morning.  Mom had finally gotten me riding lessons.  I rode at that farm for the next 9 years (through high school and summers in college) until I moved to Texas and the barn actually closed.  We could never afford my own horse so I rode all the schoolies and fell in love around 3 times only to have them sold out from under me.  The one who taught me the most (my heart horse) was Snickers.  He was a TB (I think), that went around like a mack truck when we first got him.  He ended up going lame for a while (I think a quarter crack) and was stall bound.  I got the ride on him after that and showed him through my senior year of HS.  He was a special guy - had narcolepsy - so you couldn't leave him standing alone after tacking up or he'd fall asleep.  I fell off in EVERY SINGLE show that summer, but he finally taught me how to sit and RIDE!  When I left for college, my trainer told me she would never sell him, but alas by the time Christmas came around he was gone :(.

So I left for school, learned how to drive and all about the wonderful Morgan breed.  Got a BS in Animal Science and didn't know what to do next so I signed up to get a MS in Animal Science (emphasis on Equine Reproduction) and took off for Texas.  During grad school, I bought a TB mare that is Oldenburg book approved (for my future ventures into the breeding industry) and was in foal to the school's TB stud.  March 12, 2008 out came the completely solid orange chestnut kid - Cabot.  4 years later...we're learning how to be a grown-up horse and venturing in the world of eventing since that seems to be what all the cool kids do around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment